Migraine --- How To Cope With It By Using Home Remedies?
From the Treasury of Granny - 18
Migraine is a neurological disorder. It is characterized by severe headache. The symptoms include nausea, vomiting, difficulty in speaking, numbness and tingling and sensitivity to light and sound. This problem often runs in the family. Migraine may begin in childhood or may not occur until early adulthood. Women are more likely to suffer from it than men. It should be noted that migraine is different from other headaches. It is a throbbing pain generally on side of the head. However, sometimes both the sides are involved. Most people feel migraine near the temples or behind one eye or ear. However, it can happen in any part of the head. It usually happens early in the morning, however it can happen at any time. The exact cause of migraine of is not known; however the experts say the following might be the causes of migraine.
- Lack of sleep or too much of sleep
- Skipping meals
- Stress and anxiety
- Use of alcohol
- Foods that contain MSG (Monosodium Glutamet) like fast foods
- Weather changes
There are two forms of migraines.
Migraine with Aura: There are certain symptoms before the onset of attack. These symptoms may occur 10 to 30 minutes before migraine. These symptoms are –
- Seeing flashing lights, blind spots or zigzag lines
- Tingling in the face or limbs
- Disturbed sleep, taste, or touch
- Migraine without Aura: The person does not have any of the symptoms related to aura; however, there is other symptoms related to migraine.
Following Measures Can Reduce the Problem of Migraine
1. Drinking water: Drinking good amount of water can reduce the problem of migraine to a large extent.
2. Using oils: Massage of certain oils can help a lot in controlling the problem of migraine. Peppermint oil is quite effective in controlling migraine.
3. Exercising: Though exercising does not directly controls migraine, yet it helps in reducing stress to a large extent. Stress is one of the main reasons to trigger migraine pain.
4. Yoga: Like physical exercise, yoga can also help in reducing stress. In this way, yoga can be quite helpful to cope with this disease. The Brahnri Pranayyam or the Honey Bee Pose is one the best exercise to treat headache. It is essentially a breathing technique where the humming sound vibrations tend to soothe the nerves around the brain and the forehead.
5. Avoid strong smells: Strong smells like that of perfumes, pungent food, toxic chemicals can trigger the migraine pain.
6. A dark and quiet room: Since lights can trigger migraine, lying in a quiet and dark room can be quite helpful.
7. Ginger: Ginger is a common home remedy for treating stomach disorders. In case migraine is coupled with nausea, eating ginger can prove quite helpful.
8. Avoiding Fast Foods: These foods contain certain harmful chemicals; not only in migraine, they should be avoided in every ailment. Similarly chocolates should also be avoided.
9. Having a Consistent Sleep Routine: Too much or too little of sleep should be avoided. Irregular sleep hours can trigger migraine.
10. Nutmeg Paste: Some water should be added in crushed nutmeg powder. The paste should be made. This paste should be applied on the forehead. It can help a lot in relieving headache.
Conclusion: Migraine is a very painful and disgusting disease. However, with the help of certain simple home remedies it can be controlled to a large extent.