Home Remedies to Manage Thyroid Related Problems
From the Treasury of Granny –15
The thyroid gland is located at the base of the neck. It mainly produces two hormones called T3 and T4. These hormones are transported in the blood to all the parts of the body. They control many activities in the human body. These activities include how fast calories are burnt and how fast or slow a person’s heart rate is. These activities are referred to as the metabolism.
There are two major problems in the case of the malfunctioning of this gland.
The Problem of Hypothyroid
This problem occurs when the thyroid is less in the body. This condition is also called an underactive thyroid.
Causes of Hypothyroidism
- The body’s immune system attacks the thyroid gland. This is known as autoimmune thyroiditis.
- Deficiency of iodine. Iodine is necessary for the production of thyroid hormones.
- Deficiency of magnesium, protein and zinc. These are essential for the thyroid to function properly.
- Metal poisoning or too much quantity of chemicals and pesticides in the body.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Becoming obese even if eating sensibly.
- Feeling cold even in warm weather.
- Fatigue and depression.
- Hair loss
- Dry and flaky skin particularly on the face.
- Joint pain.
Home Remedies to Treat and Prevent Hypothyroid
Diet rich in Vitamin B – Eggs, cheese, milk, etc. Deficiency of Vitamin B is the major cause of fatigue and tiredness.
Coconut Oil – This oil contains medium-chain fatty acids. It boosts the body’s metabolic function.
These dietary changes should be made:
- Eat foods rich in Vitamin A such as carrots and eggs.
- Nuts and spinach.
- Olive oil, ghee and avocados
Foods to be avoided:
- Sugar and white flour
- Certain vegetables and fruits such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, peaches and pears.
The Problem of Hyperthyroidism
It is the abnormal function of the thyroid gland. When the thyroid becomes overactive as a result the more hormones are released when needed.
Causes of Hyperthyroidism
- Graves’ disease – An autoimmune disorder, is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. As a result, too much of the thyroid is secreted. It is more often in women than in men.
- Excess of iodine
- Thyroiditis or inflammation of the thyroid. It causes T4 and T3 to leak out of the gland.
- Tumors of the ovaries or testes.
- Benign tumors of the thyroid or pituitary gland.
Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism
- Change in Appetite: Depending on the hormone released by the thyroid; one could feel either hungry or lose interest in food altogether.
- Insomnia: Hyperthyroidism over stimulates the nervous system. It causes insomnia and also night sweat.
- Emotional Extremes: Anxiety, irritability, mood swings and nervousness are some of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
- Fatigue and weakness of muscles: The person with hyperthyroid may feel tired and weak.
- Fertility and Menstruation Issues: Due to disturbance in hormone level the menstruation cycle is disturbed.
- Irregular Heart Beat: Hyperthyroidism can put the heart in danger.
- Increased Sugar Level: It can increase the danger of diabetes.
Home Remedies to Treat and Prevent Hyperthyroid:
Following food products help in Hyperthyroid
- Low Iodine Diet
- Dairy products
- A high amount of grain products
- Egg yolk
- Lavender and Sandalwood Essential Oils – These oils reduce the feeling of anxiety and keep one calm.
Conclusion: Both hypothyroid and hyperthyroid conditions can be controlled by using simple home products. Both these conditions can become serious health threats if not controlled. It is very important to adopt healthy lifestyle to protect ourselves from hypothyroid and hyperthyroid. Yoga and pranayama can also be very helpful to manage or prevent ourselves from thyroid related diseases. Yoga asana like Sarvangasana, Halasana, Matsyasana, Setubandhasana and Bhujangasana can be very useful to manage the problems Hyperthyroid as well as Hypothyroid.