From the Treasury of Granny –29
Shingles or Herpes Zoster is an internal nerve pain from injured nerve endings. It mostly affects the temporal nerve on the right side of the body. This disease is related to the chicken pox virus. When someone had chicken pox in their life, it is likely to have that person may suffer from shingles later in life. The main reason for this disease is stress. This disease is most common in the people who are above 50. In most of the people shingles is not contagious. However, the person who had chicken pox in life, he/she is likely to have shingles from the infected person. Since this problem affects mostly the elderly people, this population has the most difficult time in resolving the condition.
In case the skin starts breaking out, it can become painful and might lead to other symptoms and even flu.
Home Remedies for Shingles:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple Cider Vinegar is very useful in treating herpes zoster or shingles.
2. Neem: In Indian villages neem tree is known as the medicine tree. Its twigs can be chewed for healt="image not found"hy teeth. Neem oil is an excellent remedy for all skin diseases. It is very useful in shingles also.
3. Essential Oils: Some oils are very useful in treating shingles. These are:
a. Chamomile Oil: It has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. It is beneficial in alleviating symptoms of herpes zoster since it helps in regeneration of the cells.
b. Eucalyptus Oil: It has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in increasing speed of recovery of skin- related problems.
c. Tea-tree Oil: It has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. It helps in healing wounds and many other skin-related problems.
3. Cool Compresses: A piece of cool cloth should be compressed against the rashes. It helps in relieving itchiness.
4. Cool Baths: Cool baths with minimal scrubbing help in providing relief from itchy skins. The cool baths help in reducing inflammation. Thus they are very helpful in shingles.
5. Certain Foods: Certain foods are helpful in relieving the problem of herpes zoster. These foods are:
a. Orange Foods: Like carrot, pumpkin, and apricot.
b. Red Foods: Watermelons, cherry, and grapefruit.
c. Green Foods: Lettuce, melon, spinach, etc.
6. Quit Smoking: Smoking lowers immunity. It can delay in healing. Thus for speedy recovery from shingles smoking should be quitted.
7. Reduce Stress: Meditation and pranayama may help in reducing stress. Stress can be one of the causes of this disease.
8. Honey : Honey is very useful and beneficial in all types of skin problems. It is anti-bacterial and most importantly anti-viral. It should be applied on the affected areas and left for a few hours.
Like many other viral diseases, there is no treatment for shingles. However, with healt="image not found"hy lifestyle and proper diet its symptoms can be reduced to a large extent. In case of severe the problem is severe the trained medical practitioner should be consulted.