Home remedies for High Blood Pressure
From the Treasury of Our Granny –3
What High Blood pressure Is
High blood pressure also known as hypertension, is the high pressure (tension) of blood in the arteries. Now let us know what arteries are. Arteries are the vessels that carry blood from the pumping heart to all the tissues and organs of the body.
- Normal blood pressure is 120/80 mm Hg.
- Blood pressure between 120-129/80 is elevated blood pressure
- Blood pressure of 130/80 or above is considered high.
When the pressure in the arteries as the heart contracts and pumps blood into the arteries the pressure in the blood arteries increases. This is known as systolic pressure. When the heart relaxes after the contraction the pressure in the arteries becomes the lowest. It is known as the diastolic pressure. The bottom number, the diastolic pressure, represents the pressure in the arteries as the heart relaxes after the contraction. Thus we can say that the diastolic pressure is the lowest one in the arteries.
There could be many diseases that can be caused by hypertension or high blood pressure. These are heart attack, strokes and organ failure or even death if not treated.
How to Prevent Ourselves from Hypertension
We can prevent ourselves from hypertension or high blood pressure by adopting following measures:
- If you are overweight; try losing weight
- Quit smoking and avoid too much intake of alcohol
- Limit quantity of caffeine
- Exercise daily
- Have nutritious diet.
Our elders always stress to adopt such measures. They know the healthy way of life. There are many things available in our homes that can be extremely useful to controlling blood pressure. Some of these are:
- Garlic: Garlic is known for its medicinal properties all over the world. It is useful in many ailments. We can say it is one of the best home remedies. Our grannies used to ask us to eat a piece of garlic every day. The reason for it is being that it has been the quality of lowering cholesterol level in the blood and controlling blood pressure.
- Onion and honey: A mixture of onion juice with honey helps reducing the blood pressure. Mix two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of onion juice. Take this concoction every day.
- Curry leaves: Curry leaves are natural measure to fight many diseases. These are very useful to control blood pressure.
- Carrots: Juice of carrots can be very useful to reduce blood pressure.
- Beet root: The juice of this vegetable is a great way to lower the blood pressure.
- Some of the other following ways of reducing blood pressure are:
- Dried apricots
- Fat- free or low-fat yogurt.
Conclusion: Hypertension or high blood pressure has become a very common problem these days. Our life has become very hectic. However, relying on modern allopathic medicines can prove more harmful than useful; for no allopathic medicine is free its resultant side effects. The need of the hour is to rely on the things that are available in our kitchen cabinets. Not only hypertension but almost every ailment can be cured with the things available in our homes and the commonly found herbs.