Home Remedies For Goiter (Gandmal)
From The Treasury Of Granny –16
Goiter appears to be a serious disease. However, it can easily be mentioned with certain home remedies. Goiter is a medical condition characterized by swelling of the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is a small butterfly-shaped gland in the lower front of the neck. It is responsible for the secreting of thyroid hormones that maintain the body’s metabolism. Goiter happens due to the overactive, underactive thyroid gland. Though goiter is not a painful disease yet can bring many other symptoms which can disrupt the normal functions of the body. Women over the age of 40; people with a family history of goiter and people taking low iodine content are more prone to goiter.
Symptoms of Goiter
The following are the symptoms of goiter:
- Coughing with no reason
- Hoarse voice
- Constricted feeling in the throat
- Discomfort or pain while swallowing
- Mood swings
- Weight loss or gain without any apparent reason
- Difficulty in breathing
All these symptoms can also be due to some other health conditions. Therefore, it should not be assumed that one is suffering from goiter without getting a confirmed diagnosis from the doctor.
Home Remedies for Goiter
In case one is diagnosed with goiter medicines or surgery is not the only solution to treat or manage it. The following home remedies can be quite helpful in managing goiter:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix in a glass of water 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and ½ teaspoon of honey. Drink the mixture empty stomach. Apple cider vinegar detoxifies the body and thus indirectly helps in the absorption of iodine and the reduction of iodine.
2. Castor Oil: Massage the neck area with the oil gently. Then leave the oil overnight. This should be done every night before going to bed. Castor oil has anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Coconut Oil: Virgin coconut oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in improving metabolism.
4. Bentonite Clay ((Multani Mitti):Take 2-3 tablespoons of bentonite clay. Make a paste by adding enough water to it. Apply this paste on the neck and then wash it off with water. This paste should be applied every 2 to 3 days. It will reduce swallowing.
5. Dandelion Leaves: Grind the dandelion leaves with some water and make a paste. After that, some ghee is to be added and the mixture should be heated for a few minutes until it becomes lukewarm. This paste should be applied on the neck for 15-20 minutes. Repeat this process every day for a week or two.
6. Lemon Juice: Crush the clove of garlic with lemon juice and honey. Drink this juice every morning. Lemon and garlic have anti-inflammatory properties.
7. Pineapple Juice: Blend 4-5 pieces of pineapple, 1 medium-sized carrot and 2 tomatoes and add some water to adjust the consistency. Drink this juice every day. This juice can improve hormonal thyroid status and reduce the size of the goiter.
8. Garlic: Chew 3-4 garlic cloves in the morning. Some honey may be added to it if they appear to be very pungent.
9. Turmeric: Turmeric can be very useful in goiter.
Foods to be Avoided for Goiter
The following foods should be avoided in case one is suffering from goiter:
- Sweet potato
Conclusion: Goiter is not a serious disease. However, it can cause many health-related issues in case if not managed. It is very easy to control and manage this ailment with simple home remedies.