Home Remedies for Dry Eyes
From the Treasury of our Granny – 6
If eyes have a burning sensation, look red or feel gritty --- as if some dust particle is stuck in them – it could be dry eye. There are tiny glands round the eyelids. When these glands do not make sufficient tears to keep the vision clear, the condition is called dry eye.
Tears keep the eyes moist, smooth and hydrated. Healthy eyes make tears all day thus keeping the eyes moist. However, certain diseases, infection, medications, sitting in front of the computers for long hours and using too much of mobile phones might also lead to the problem of dry eyes.
Symptoms of Dry Eyes
Following are the symptoms of dry eyes:
- Eye redness
- Difficulty in driving during nighttime
- Sensitivity to light
- Stingy mucous around eyes
- Sensation of having something in eyes
- Watery eyes
Home Remedies and ways to Cure Dry Eyes
- Warm Compresses -- To help ease irritation of the eyes, wet a piece of cloth with warm water. Gently press the cloth with the fingers. It would give a great relief to the eyes.
- Blink More – The people working on computers for long hours do not blink quite often. It leads to the problem of dry eyes. Thus one should blink at least 20 times in a minute. Also one should close eyes for 20 seconds after every 20 minutes.
- Drink a Lot of Water – Every part of human body needs water. Water keeps every organ of the body hydrated. So is the case with eyes. One should drink at least 4 litres of water in a day. Drinking a lot of water helps in keeping eyes moist.
- Coconut Oil - Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and moisturizing agents. It keeps the eyes naturally moist.
- Cucumber : By keeping a piece of cucumber on eyes for 15 minutes itchiness and redness can be avoided. It is an excellent source of vitamin A, which is a great nourisher of eyes.
- Yoghurt : Yoghurt is a rich source of vitamin A, D and B. Having a bowl full of yoghurt helps in keeping the eyes moist.
Besides these we can keep our eyes healthy with the following ways:
- The makeup of the eyes should be removed thoroughly, after coming from the party. It prevents eyes from exposure to the harmful chemicals.
- One should use good quality of sunglasses as well as spectacles.
- Direct exposure of the eyes to the sun should be avoided at every cost.
Eyes is the organ which is a very important and vital part of life. Without eyes one’s life becomes dark and gloomy. Thus it is our responsibility to keep them in good health.