Home Remedies For Dengue
From the Treasury of Granny –21
Dengue fever is the result of a viral infection that is transmitted by mosquitoes. It is mainly caused by viral infections transmitted by the mosquitoes of Aedes family. It is caused by female Aedes aegypti mosquito. When this mosquito bites an infected individual, the dengue virus enters the mosquito with the blood and then when that mosquito bites the healthy person and that person too become infected with the virus. Then the mosquito bites another person and similarly the cycle continues.
Symptoms of Dengue Fever
- Vomiting and nausea
- Pain behind the eyes
- Swollen glands
Some other Symptoms
- Stomach pain
- Bleeding gums
- Cold and clammy skin
- Fatigue and irritation
Home Remedies for Dengue Fever
The following simple home remedies can help in reducing the symptoms of the fever. However, this fever can’t be cured with home remedies:
1. Giloy: Giloy is quite effective in bringing down the temperature. It enhances immunity.
2. Fenugreek (Methi) Leaves: Methi leaves are very beneficial in bringing down the temperature. They also help in bringing good sleep. Fenugreek seeds soaked in water overnight and then taking them empty stomach can also be very beneficial.
3. Papaya Leaves: Papaya leaves help in increasing blood platelets. They are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. They reduce stress.
4. Turmeric: Turmeric is antiseptic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory. It helps in boosting metabolism. For best results a pinch of turmeric in warm milk should be drunk.
5. Basil (Tulsi) Leaves: Tulsi is a wonderful herb. It increases immunity. Tulsi leaves boiled with some black pepper should be taken daily. It fights infections and builds up immunity.
6. Drinking lot of water: Dehydration is a common problem in dengue. Drink lot of water to stay hydrated. It detoxifies the system and also helps in reducing headache.
7. Neem Leaves: Neem leaves should be put in boiled water and then this water should be drunk. This water increases the blood platelet count. By burning dried leaves, mosquitoes can be warded off from the vicinity.
8. Guava Juice: Guavas are rich in tannins, vitamins and minerals. They have high Vitamin C count which is very helpful in building immunity. Guavas juice should be drunk or guavas can be eaten instead of the juice.
9. Jaggery and Onion: Crushed jaggery should be mixed with a few onions. This mixture should be consumed daily. Onions have fever reducing qualities and in combination with jaggery they increase the platelet count in blood. In this way, they help in curing dengue.
10. Apple Juice: 1 teaspoon of lemon juice should be mixed with a cup of apple juice. This remedy can help in increasing blood cells.
It is said that ‘Prevention is Better than Cure’. Following measures should be adopted to prevent ourselves from mosquitoes:
- Mosquito repellents should be used.
- House and surroundings should be kept clean.
- Instead of oily food preference should be given to food that contains oranges, lemons, coconut water and protein –rich foods.
- Stagnant water in pots, coolers, or at surroundings becomes ideal breeding places for mosquitoes. Therefore, the measures should be taken to replace the stagnant water with fresh water after every few days.
Conclusion: The dengue fever is a serious health trouble and it should be taken equally seriously. All the home remedies mentioned above should not be considered as the treatment of dengue. These remedies can help our body to gain immunity and thus prevent us from dengue and in case one is suffering from dengue, these remedies help in speedy recovery.