12 Super Foods That Help In Getting Rid Of Acidity
From The Treasury of Granny –17
Acidity occurs when there excess secretion if acids in the gastric glands of the stomach. It results in the production of gas, bad breath, stomach ache and other symptoms.
Causes of Acidity
- A long gap between meals
- Empty stomach
- Excessive intake of tea and coffee
- Smoking and alcohol
- When the secretion of acids is more than usual, one can feel heartburn or acid reflux. This normally happens due to heavy and spicy food.
Damages Caused By Acidity
- Damage to Oesophagus: Oesophagus is a tube-like organ. It connects the mouth to the stomach. If acid moves up and enters the oesophagus, it may lead to esophageal ulcers and many other problems.
- Acidity may cause damage to the enamel of the teeth, leading to cavities.
Home Remedies to Control Acidity
1. Basil Leaves (Tulsi): Basil is considered a heavenly herb and is found in almost every Indian household. It has soothing properties and gives instant relief from acidity. Eat a few basil leaves or they can be boiled in a cup of water. After cooling they can be sipped slowly. This is one of the best remedies for acidity.
2. Fennel (Saunf): Fennel (saunf) can be chewed after every meal. It is very beneficial in controlling acidity and also helps in indigestion.
3. Cinnamon (Daalchini): This spice is found in almost every household. It is useful in improving digestion and it is also helpful to settle the stomach. If it is drunk in tea, it can prove highly beneficial.
4. Buttermilk (lassi , chaaj): In Ayurveda buttermilk is categorized as a sattvic food. After eating a spicy meal, drinking a glass of buttermilk can help normalize acidity in the stomach. For best results, a sprinkling of black pepper or 1 teaspoon of coriander can yield the best results.
5. Jaggery (Gud): Our elders used to eat jaggery after meals. The reason being that it has high magnesium content and helps in digestion. In this way it is helpful in reducing acidity.
6. Cloves (loung) : It is a very common spice found in almost every household. They have a prominent place in not only traditional Ayurvedic medicines but also in the Chinese system of medicines. It is very helpful in preventing acidity.
7. Cumin seeds (Jira): They are very helpful in fighting acidity. One teaspoon of cumin seeds crushed and mixed in a glass of water can be very helpful.
8. Ginger (adrak): It has excellent digestive and anti-inflammatory qualities. It can be chewed raw or its juice can be drunk to fight acidity.
9. Cold Milk: Milk can help stabilize gastric acids in the stomach. In the case of acidity, a glass of cold milk can prove extremely beneficial.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar: When the quantity of stomach acid is very low, it results in acid reflux. Mix 1-2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a cup of drink. It should be drunk twice a day.
11. Coconut Water: Coconut water levels acidity and also helps protects the stomach from harmful acids. It is rich in fiber. Thus aids in digestion and prevents the re-occurrence of acidity.
12. Banana: It contains natural antacids that can act as a buffer against acid reflux. It is the simplest home remedy for getting rid of acidity.
Conclusion: Though acidity is considered a minor health problem, yet if not controlled it can prove a major health threat. It can cause ulcers, tumors and other serious diseases. However, it can be controlled with things found in almost every Indian household. These things help in getting rid of acidity in a very simple way.