Health Benefits of Commonly found Herbs & Spices
By: Kayasetu .com on 27-Feb-2021
Giloy is an amazing plant with amazing healt="image not found"h benefits. It has incredible medicinal properties for many diseases. It helps in treating chronic fever and also boosts digestion and immunity.
In Sanskrit Giloy means ‘Amrit’ or the root of immortality. With so many healt="image not found"h benefits it won’t be wrong to say that giloy is indeed Amrit or Elixir. Giloy (Tinospora Cordifolia) is an Ayurvedic herb that has been used in the Indian Ayurvedic system since ages. It is found helpful in curing many ailments. It is useful from treating chronic fever to boosting digestion and immunity.
Some Important Facts About Giloy
- Though the stem is of maximum use, yet the root is also used for many ailments.
- Its uses and benefits have been approved by the FDA even.
- It can be consumed in the form of juice, powder or capsules.
Many people include Giloy in their traditional kadhas also.
Healt="image not found"h Benefits of Giloy
Helpful in Fever: Giloy is helpful in reducing fever due to its Javarghana or anti-pyetic properties. According to Ayurveda, there are two factors leading to high fever – 1. Ama 2. Any foreign particle or organisms. Giloy reduces fever by improving digestion and absorbing due to its digestive properties. This helps in preventing the formation of Ama. It also improves immunity to fight foreign particles.
How to Take:
For Hay Fever
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of giloy juice.
- Some quantity of water should be added and drunk it empty stomach in the morning once a day.
: Due to hay fever, toxins get accumulated in the body. It creates imbalance in Kapha. The imbalance in Kapha is treated due to rejuvenating properties of giloy.How to Take:
¼ to ½ of giloy churna should be mixed in 1 teaspoon of honey.
For Diabetes (Type I & II)
Giloly is very helpful to control high blood sugar level and other diabetic level and other complications such as ulcers, wounds, kidney damage due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.How to Take
Take ½ of giloy churna with water after lunch and dinner.
For Liver Diseases: Giloy can be very beneficial in liver diseases because of the over consumption of alcohol. It prevents accumulating fat in the lever. It also inhibits degeneration of and promotes growth of new cells.
How to Take:
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of fresh giloy juice and some water should be added to it.
- This should be drunk every morning for at least 3 months.
Giloy could be beneficial in the treatment for breast cancer for its anti-cancer properties. It balances all the three doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. in this way it is very beneficial in the treatment of cancer.How to Take:
Beneficial for High Cholestrol:
- 2-3 teaspoons of fresh Giloy juice should be drunk every morning.
- It should be done for at least 3 months for the best results.
Giloy helps in controlling high cholesterol in the body. It improves the metabolism of the body. It eliminates toxins from the body that are responsible for the accumulation of cholesterol in the human body.
How to Take:
For Gout (Arthritis):
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of Giloy juice
- Add 1 glass of water and drink it.
Giloy is very useful due to its Vata balancing properties and for purifying the blood. Giloy is said to suppress the inflammation due to arthritis. It also protects the body against auto-immune diseases.
How to Take:
- ¼ to ½ of giloy powder should be mixed with lukewarm and it should be mixed well.
- It should be taken after lunch and dinner.
It helps in reducing the problem of Diarrhea. It also helps in other digestion related problem like hyperacidity.
How to Take:
Prevents Hair Loss:
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon of giloy powder should be mixed in luke warm water.
- Should be taken after lunch and dinner.
It helps controlling hair loss and dandruff. It also helps in hair growth because of its rejuvenating properties.How to Take:
- A fine paste of giloy leaves should be made and honey and rose water is to be added to it.
- Apply it on the scalp fo at least 2-3 hours.
- Wash with some good herbal shampoo.
Best Ways to Include Giloy in Daily Diet
With Milk and Ginger: Giloy when boiled with milk and little of ginger is added to it, works wonder.
Chewing of Giloy Stem: People suffering from asthma can chew giloy; it can have wonderful effects.
Applying on Eyes: Some giloy powder should be boiled and a cotton pad should be soaked and then it should be applied on your eyelids. It boosts vision.
Giloy Juice: Take some giloy roots and boil it into water until it is reduced to half.
Precautions While Using Giloy:
- Should be taken under medical supervision in case of allergy.
- Lactating mothers and pregnant women should avoid taking it.
- Since it boosts immunity, it should be avoid taking with immunosuppressant.
- Routine medicine for diabetes could interfere in its effects; therefore the blood sugar level should be monitored while using it.
Giloy has so many healt="image not found"h benefits that it will not be wrong to say that it is not less than sanjivini booti (herb of immortality). Some Ayurveda experts claim that it can be useful for treating the pandemic Covid 19 also. However, we do not support such views without proper medical authenticity. Since it has so many benefits, it could cause trouble for some sort of patients. Therefore, the herb should be taken with medical advice. Its dosage should also be according to the directions of some expert Ayurveda physician.