The term schizophrenia means ‘split mind’. This disease is marked by disturbances in thoughts. It appears as if the person has two minds. In this the mental state the patient is almost totally detached from the reality. The person generally creates his own imaginary world. This disease or mental disease starts in the first half of life. It gradually aggravates with the passage of time. This mental ailment is usually compared with Atawabhinivesh in some Ayurvedic texts.
Paranoid schizophrenia or schizophrenia with paranoia is the most common example of this mental illness. Schizophrenia is a kind of psychosis. It is a state where mind doesn’t agree with reality. Such people are unreasonably suspicious of others. As a result they can’t hold a job for a long time, have friendship and even go to the doctor.
Such patients might feel like:
• Some colleague is trying to conspire against you or even poison your food.
• The spouse is cheating is cheating on you.
• The government agencies are spying on you.
• Someone is plotting to harass you.
Sometimes the patient might think that the strangers are going to hurt them, they might like to stay inside the home.
There is no permanent treatment of schizophrenia yet it could be managed to a large extent with the help of Ayurvedic way of life. Following herbs and foods can help manage schizophrenia to a large extent:
1. Chamomile: It is full of peace providing qualities. It promotes sound sleep, thus it is beneficial for the persons suffering from schizophrenia. Add flowers of chamomile flowers in a cup of warm water. Then cover it and let it cool down. Drink this mixture regularly in the evening.
2. Panax Ginseng: It is considered good for memory and it enhances concentration. It helps in reducing the negative impacts of schizophrenia. It is thought that it works as brain receptors.
3. Antioxidants: Antioxidants vitamins like vitamin A, C and E help reducing the intensity of schizophrenia. Vitamin C is also considered anti-stress vitamin. The research shows that development of mental problems can be well reduced with the help of anti-oxidants. Try adding blueberry, strawberry, lemon, orange, amla, spinach and carrot in your diet.
4. Brahmi: Brahmi helps in increasing concentration. It helps in stabling some chemicals in the brain. It also shows neuro proactive qualities.
As discussed earlier schizophrenia is not totally curable but it can be managed to a large extent. The persons suffering from schizophrenia should refrain themselves from alcohol. They should be told to be less-stressed. The family can prove to be of a great help to such persons. By following these techniques and maintaining proper diet, this problem can be kept in control to a large extent.