Anxiety is a very common problem in modern hectic life. However, the year 2020 was considered one of the worst years in the history of mankind. It would not be wrong to call this year the era of the pandemic. It was a year that when the whole world was trapped by the pandemic Covid 19. Millions of people around the world suffered from it, many lost their lives and it had a very bad effect on the economy. People lost their business due to the lockdowns and as a result, there was a great loss of jobs. Many people were thrown out of jobs. All these factors are enough to create anxiety in any individual. But if one has been suffering from anxiety before any such incident, it is sure that such incidents aggravate the problem of anxiety. This problem can become a serious mental disorder. The problem of anxiety hinders the individual’s ability to relax, one is unnecessarily worried about the future and the approach towards everything is negative. Now let’s see what happens --- the person suffering from anxiety seeks help from the doctor and they are given some anti-depressants. But these medicines do not have any long-term effects. One has to keep on taking these medicines even then the result is not very encouraging. However, our ages-old system of medicine has an answer to this. As we have studied earlier also that there are three types of energies also known as doshas – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. All these doshas are present in every individual. Any imbalance in the dosha can lead to anxiety and other disorders in a human being. Anxiety is basically due to the imbalance of Vata in our body or due to too much Vata in the body. Let’s try to understand what happens. In case of anxiety, the Vata dosha is fixed on the future while the Pitta dosh lies in the present and the Kapha dosh is there in the past. The main reason for anxiety is that we get disconnected from our present and instead start thinking about our rosy future. The result is too much of Vata gets accumulated thus leading to anxiety. Therefore to free ourselves from anxiety we need to balance Vata and thus we can lead a normal life. Following foods and herbs can help alleviate anxiety and make us mentally strong:
1. Brahmi: It is a well-known memory-booster. It is actually an angel for your mental health. It has a calming and anti-stress effect on our central nervous system. In fact, another study conducted in 2003 showed that brahmi is very helpful in protecting the brain from harmful effects.
2. Bhringraj: Bhringraj oil has scalp-nourishing properties. The consumption of bhringraj in the form of bhringraj herbal teas and powder dissolved in water helps to detoxify our body and it promotes oxygen supply to the brain and make the brain healthier and stronger and thus enabling it to ward off stress.
3. Ashwagandha: It is one of the most popular Ayurvedic herbs and it has many health benefits. It is very beneficial in various neurological disorders and also helps in reducing anxiety.
4. Ghee: Ghee has calming properties. Dipping a finger in ghee and massaging gently on nostrils pacify mild anxiety. It has anti-depressant properties. Therefore adding a teaspoon of ghee to the daily diet is very beneficial. In case of any health problem, it is advisable to contact your doctor.
5. Tulsi: Tulsi is a great healer for the mind and body. Ayurveda suggests consuming tulsi is very effective to fight depression and anxiety.It must be remembered these foods do not substitute any of the mental disorders. They are helpful to reduce anxiety to some extent and must be taken as a preventive measure. In case the problem is severe, one must seek a professional’s help.